www.flickr.com

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Understanding Workflow

This year has been about artistic self discovery for me. Aside from being a mobile artist I also work harder. For a few years I felt like I never finished the amount of work I would like. My process felt arduous and at times boring.

There would be times when I felt as if projects were dragging on too long. There were long stretches of time when I lacked inspiration. At 26 years old I think I finally understand what's the best way for me to work.

I love my art but I need to be working on multiple projects. I usually don't have tunnel vision when it comes to most pieces. My mind wanders at times and I get inspiration for something else. My solution is to start one piece, finish and then illustrate the next piece that's on the back burner.

If I tire of the current piece I'll start another one and come back later. These changes to process have helped me be more effective. I don't feel like I'm fighting myself anymore. Currently I'm working on my graphic novel, Savior and some pieces inspired by Captain America: The First Avenger.

Cataloging all the ideas for future pieces helps me stay consistent. Now I don't feel right unless I produce a new piece weekly. In most cases I make more but the minimum is one. What also excites me is how quickly my paintings are being finished. I'm achieving quality but at a pace that I'm happy with.

0 comments: