www.flickr.com

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Making of Through The Elm to The Big Apple: The Apps

I wanted to have a lot of variety in my book, Through The Elm to The Big Apple. To do that I used four iPad art apps: Brushes, Sketchbook Pro, ArtRage and Procreate. It was important that this book showcases everything I can do on an iPad. I've been using it exclusively for my art since 2010 and I want to share what I know.

Brushes was a good first choice because of the tools it has. The name is a dead giveaway that you can achieve many effects. I was inspired by Jorge Colombo's iPhone paintings. The work created in this app was inspired by him and the speed painting exercises I had at School of Visual Arts.

 

Sketchbook Pro was the next app I chose to use for this series. It's similar to Brushes but with more depth, and perspective. The Brushes paintings focused on the architecture and the beauty of these cityscapes. I introduced people, and rural settings into the work. It has a more intimate feel while still retaining a painterly look.

 

ArtRage was a departure from the other two. I used my background with oils to take the series in a new direction. The level of detail increased as did my ambition. Some of these paintings took multiple sittings to finish.

 

Procreate was last. What I love about the paintings in this app is that it reflects my Cartoonist roots. None of the other apps replicate my look of Cartooning quite like Procreate. These paintings took the longest because of the various perspectives and architecture. It was very challenging. Come back next week for part three: iPhoneography and iPad Painting. Please leave feedback in the comments section. Through The Elm to The Big Apple releases August 1st on Lulu and iTunes at a later date.

 

0 comments: