www.flickr.com

Monday, November 28, 2011

Lupe Fiasco Lasers Concept Series: All Black Everything

This is clearly one of the standout tracks from Lasers. I picked a line a ran with it for this piece. Lupe talks about what the world would be like if W.E.B Du Bois wrote the Constitution. I not only wanted to convey that but also how future generations could be affected. That's we're the subject, William Trent comes in. If the United States Constitution was written by a Black Man would there be any need for a United Negro College Fund?

The process behind the painting was a complicated one. This is the first black and white portrait I've done in Brushes. I had to think a lot differently when approaching this. I used the different values from the photograph and my judgement to round out the subject's features. I overlayed the Constitution over Trent to finish it and tie into the song.

0 comments: