www.flickr.com

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lupe Fiasco "Lasers" Concept Series: Words I Never Said




This piece was extremely ambitious for me. It's been some time since I've done any realistic portraits in Sketchbook Pro. I believe Sade was the last. I'm not too crazy about the content on Lasers but Words I Never Said is just a masterful track. I wanted to go all out on this piece. I wanted to convey several things in this piece. For one this track is clearly different from the others. The lyrics are potent and not dumbed down like most others.

Also Lupe is taking several shots at key figures in the media and in politics. I wanted to show Lupe as villainous for making such a track. I personally support his music but I wanted to portray him from the perspective of Atlantic Records and those who don't understand his music. I just had to go with The Joker. (The Heath Ledger representation.) First I painted Fiasco like I would any portrait. Next I added the face paint (almost like a make up artist) on a separate layer. This let me erase the top layer to let skin show through. After doing that he really looked like The Clown Prince of Crime.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad (Anubis)

0 comments: