www.flickr.com

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Influences of Little Robots II: Food and Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album

I'm a big hip hop fan and it always find it's way into my work somehow. Lupe Fiasco is definitely one of my top ten MCs. He really redeemed himself with this spectacular album (Food and Liquor II) after the lackluster Lasers. By the time I was ready to put together another volume for Little Robots I had amassed a ton of work but didn't have a theme I wanted to go with. What I really enjoyed about Lupe's album was how political is was. Specifically his controversial single, Around My Way (Freedom Ain't Free) inspired me to focus in on a theme of Americana. Little Robots Volume II would hone in on politics and American culture. My vision of this book was to continue to make it really funny but have a deep message if you look hard enough. The covers of the two editions also have meanings too. For the "Old Glory Edition" it's the star spangled banner in full color. This is the version for adults because it has more colorful language hence the flag. The "Black Flag Edition" is black and white because it's censored and more family oriented.both books will be on sale April 27th through Lulu.com. Look for the next post in this series next week.

 

 

0 comments: