www.flickr.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Little Robots Promotional Art: The Rockwell

This is the second piece of promotional art for Little Robots Volume One. I'm calling it "The Rockwell" because it's heavily inspired by Norman Rockwell's self portrait painting. I spent at least a week conceptualizing this before I even went into Sketchbook Pro. The rule I gave myself was to pay homage but make it appropriate for my specific style of art. Basically I'm not a traditional artist anymore. I use an iPad exclusively. The illustration had to reflect that. I swapped out the canvas and the mirror in Rockwell's version for two iPads. (my iPad 1 and my new iPad.)

They represent just how my workflow has evolved in the past year and a half. Since I got my iPhone 4 that has always been on hand while I work. In a sense it's my digital palette. I even included the UI from Sketchbook Pro on the iPad screen. Including my current inspirations was also paramount. I have nods to my favorite Marvel Characters and Jorge Colombo's current book. I'm thrilled that I was able to make this illustration look exactly how I envisioned it in my mind's eye. Created in Sketchbook Pro for iPad.

 

0 comments: