www.flickr.com

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Featured Illustration: El Che




I've been a Rhymefest fan since his Blue Collar album came out a few years ago. This past year he released El Che. I just got my hands on it and I love it. The way he MCs is just dynamic, funny, and thought provoking. Fest is extremely underrated. There are political undertones on the album and that led to this latest piece. Rhymefest is very good at producing hip hop with a message. One of the themes on the album is that he is a hip hop revolutionary. There are several skits that play up this with the government hot on his heels.

Rhymefest is forced to leave the country due to the Hip Hop he creates. His real name is Che Smith. (Hence the title of his album.) I wanted to create a piece to not only pay homage to Rhymefest but also this masterful album. My first thought was to juxtapose his image with the iconic image of Che Guevara. I wanted to create a illustration that screamed hip hop revolutionary. I wanted a gritty and painterly look for this one too. The palette knife didn't seem appropriate for this.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad (Anubis)

0 comments: