www.flickr.com

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Comics Review: Steve Rogers: Super Soldier

Let me just say whether or not Steve Rogers is Captain America or not (It's Bucky now.) he'll always be my favorite superhero. Steve Rogers: Super Soldier is about the former Captain America in his new role as the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's written by Ed Brubaker and drawn by Dale Eaglesham. I won't spoil the story but basically Steve learns that someone is trying to mass produce super soldiers for private gain. He goes to investigate and stop the threat before it gets serious.

One of the things I enjoyed about this issue is the vibe. The art is top notch and it feels like 007 meets Marvel Comics. Brubaker has been writing the Captain America story for some time now. His attention to the core traits that make Steve who is are on full display. What I like is how he makes Steve seem human even though he's superhuman. I'd never heard of Eaglesham before but he does a great job of rendering the story. Steve's leap from a skyscraper comes to mind.(So well done.) I like how the style has a silver age look to it also.

I could've done without the inner dialogue during the fight scene but what can you do? All in I thought it was a strong number 1. I hope the whole miniseries is this consistent.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad (Anubis)

Location:Central Ave,New Haven,United States

0 comments: